Telescope Flashlight, which basically permits your phone screen to be used as a red flashlight for background lighting during an astronomy observing session. Many others permit the screen to be turned red but this one turns off the hardware button lights and lets you adjust the brightness level, so it’s more geared for astronomers. Some people thought it would magically make the flash LEDs on the phone put out red or do more than just make the screen red. But many others have said that it meets their needs perfectly. As a developer that makes me happy — we aim to please our customers.
11. What is most important in building a successful app?
“Successful” is relative, so I may not be in a position to comment, but I’ll give my opinion anyway. Have a good idea, but it doesn’t have to be a great one — not even an original one in some cases. For myself, I want to do something I know about as my time is limited. Also I’m keeping things simple while I hone my coding skills.
– Implementation is key, but simple can be just as good as complex, sometimes better. Better to do one thing well that people want than have lots of features that no one uses.
– Marketing — think of who will use your app. What do they want? How do you let them know that the app they’ve been waiting for is finally available? Also think about how you plan to make your apps stand out against the competition. Be sure to use keywords appropriately and title your app to stand out but not so much people can’t tell what it does right away.
– Support – track your app and make sure to correct any user complaints and issues. If a user asks for an improvement, chances are there are 10-100 others wanting it too that didn’t speak up.
12. How are you getting the word out about your app?
I’m using Facebook and Twitter mainly as a way to communicate back to my users. I’ve posted a few things on the local astronomy club (Austin Astronomical Society) Facebook page and on a few forums online but not much more than that.
13. Anything else you’d like to share with the Appolicious audience?
Appolocious seems like a great way to share favorite apps with people and to get good recommendations. I’m always looking for new and improved apps — I have 240 installed on my Evo right now– thank goodness for Froyo!